Evaluates the high temperature stability of automotive wheel bearing greases in a modified automotive front wheel hub-spindle-bearings assembly. The ASTM D3527 Life Performance test employs severe conditions-25 lbf (111N) thrust load, 1000rpm, 160°C spindle temperature -to induce grease deterioration and failure. The test continues in a 20/4 hour on/off cycle until grease breakdown causes measured drive motor torque to increase past an established end point. The number of hours to failure is the test result. The ASTM D4290 Accelerated Leakage Tendencies procedure employs similar test conditions for a 20 hour period, after which leakage of grease and oil is measured and the bearings are washed and examined for deposits of gum and varnish.
High Temperature Wheel Bearing Grease Tester
- Conforms to ASTM D3527, D4290 and D4950 specifications
- Fully automatic operation
- Digital monitoring of all test functions
Performs life performance and accelerated leakage tendencies tests on lubricating greases in accordance with ASTM test specifications. Consists of a modified front wheel hub-spindle-bearings assembly housed in a constant temperature oven and coupled to a 1/4hp variable-speed drive motor. Controls test functions automatically and provides continuous digital display of motor torque, rpm, chamber temperature, spindle temperature, time cycle and elapsed time. Test parameters outside of ASTM specifications can be selected by the operator for in-house testing. Automatically terminates test and displays elapsed on-cycle hours when grease deterioration causes drive motor torque to increase to the calibrated end point. A built-in thirty second time delay circuit prevents erroneous test terminations due to momentary surges in motor torque at the beginning of the on-cycle. Insulated constant temperature oven is equipped with a 1200W heater and balanced 1/20 hp circulation fan for efficient heat distribution. Sliding access doors and a movable platform that swings the drive motor out of the way provide easy access to the spindle assembly. Modified steel spindle and hub assembly conforms to all critical 1971 Chevy II dimensions and is fitted with thermocouple, bearing thrust loading device and anodized aluminium grease collector. All controls and monitors are housed in a separate cabinet.
- Conforms to the specifications of: ASTM D3527, D4290, D4950
- Timer: on/off cycle and real time
- Chamber Temperature: °C
- Spindle Temperature: °C
- Motor rpm: 0-1725rpm
- Motor Torque: current draw
- Elapsed Time: 9999.9 hr.
- Maximum Temperature: 177°C (350°F)
- Electrical Requirements: 115V 60Hz, Single Phase, 13A ; 220-240V 50Hz, Single Phase, 7A ; 220-240V 60Hz, Single Phase, 7A
- Thermocouples (2) , Thermometer holder , Bearings (1set) , Grease Packer Assembly
- Bearing Installation/Removal Tools: Bearing installer, small and large bearing cup removers, bearing cup installer, bearing puller and spindle wrenches (pins)
- lxwxh,in.(cm) - Test Unit: 16x20x15 3/4 (41x51x40) ; Control Unit: 16x14x16 (41x36x41)
- Net Weight - 145 lbs (65.8kg)
- Shipping Weight: 230 Ibs (104.3kg)
- Dimensions: 14.8 Cu. ft.
Request A Quote